[LRflex] Re: Erwin Puts on the DM-R

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:54:07 -0500

Recently, you wrote:

> Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 07:43:44 -0700
> From: "David Young" <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 28/08/2005 at 8:44 AM Neil Gould wrote:
>
>> The article's most damning comments seem to be the state and rate of
>> development at Leica. One can't start a race several laps behind the
>> leaders in a slower vehicle and expect to be competitive. There is
>> almost no chance that Leica will produce a digital product that is
>> competitive with the best available products.
>
> If Leica can produce a viable Digital M, it will have that market
>  pretty= much to itself. However, it must do it at what is at least a
>  not too= overpriced level.

I just don't get the "Digital M" concept. I can only imagine that such a
configuration amounts to a P&S with all the drawbacks of a dSLR and none
of the advantages of either a dSLR, a camera with an EVF, or even a
digital P&S with a zoom lens. If Leica's management is putting their hopes
on a "Digital M", that just might finish them off.

Regards,

Neil