[LRflex] Re: Erwin Puts Predictions about the M and R series

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:21:39 -0500

Hi all,

> From: Howard Cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:50:13 +0800
>
> Hi Flexers,
>
> Here are Erwin's predictions about the future direction of Leica
> products, including the R10:
>
> http://www.imx.nl/photosite/comments/c037.html
>
> They are not from Leica but from an article in a German Photo
> Magazine by someone who allegedly has contacts at Leica.
>
> I post this more for fun than fact.
>
> Cheers
>
> Howard (in Hong Kong)

Thanks for posting this article... it is an interesting opinion from one
who has had a long involvement with Leica. However, I think a few points
have been overlooked in his comparison between Apple and Leica.

Apple did disregard their pre-OSX user base in the development of their
newer computer models. As a result, Apple's current success is based on
the various "i" products rather than computers. If Leica were to follow
that model, their future success would be based on products other than
cameras.

Put's notion that there should be essentially some "test failures" to
guide the development of new products seems to ignore the Lumix line,
where the cameras have been shaped over the years from (in my opinion)
products with elegant simplicity such as found in the manual modes of the
early Lumix "SLR" style cameras to the current variants of offerings from
other companies. As I see it, the test failures are executed in the Lumix
products to avoid damaging the Leica reputation. An unforturnate
side-effect is that it is difficult to offer Leica branded digital
products that appear to be innovative. Still, the apparent success of the
M8 was not likely accidental.

Neil