[LRflex] Elks, flowers, soleil, and third cams...

  • From: KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 09:13:10 +0100

Hi David
I like the shot of the elk; if it was mine, I would crop some off the right side, but it's a good stance, isn't it? BTW: 'elk' over here means something a bit different - you call them moose! So I was a little surprised. Is yours what we know as a caribou..? We saw a giant shape by the side of the road in Sweden some years ago, screeched to a stop, and I found myself filming a moose. I wouldn't want to meet one on a dark night!! Quite a lot of collisions with moose in Sweden; at night, your headlights go under the body, so you tend not to see the moose until it's too late. The car knocks its legs from under it, and half a ton of body comes through the windscreen.....

Hi Steve
Flowers. Beautiful flowers; shame about the fussy backgrounds. You needed a sheet of black paper, methinks! ;-) The shot of Soleil - very nice.

Third cams
I now have a full complement of properly working lenses! I made a third cam for the 80-200 - the one that the Leica guy told me couldn't be done - and, since I hadn't received the bits at that point, made another for the 250. Both worked fine. The bits came from Leica next day, so I left the camera and 80-200 to be tested, fitted the Leica bits, and took the 250 back next day. Guess what? It no longer worked! :-( There was a gap between the third and second cams (even though the third cam was fitted correctly) so I borrowed some tools, took it to bits in the shop, bent the third cam a bit, reassembled it, and it then worked. Both lenses proved to meter to within 0.2 of a stop. So I'm well pleased. Just wish I hadn't bothered buying the (expensive) Leica parts. Not only that, but the bits they provided for the 250/4 were labelled 80-200 Vario Elmar! So the story that it couldn't be done was rubbished by Leica themselves!! :-! Can't say I'm very impressed.....

Cheers
Keith Longmore