[LRflex] Re: Digital P&S Advice Request

  • From: Bille Xavier F. <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 10:51:12 +0100

Hello,

Very few manufacturer use the AA batterie. Canon and Nikon still offer it. But
most Canon and Nikon are not water proof nor shockproof.

Indeed, this small Olympus "SW" class seems a good compromise.
FWIW---------------------------------Xavier F. BILLE Maisons-Alfort - France.>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 22:10:47 -0700> To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> From: dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [LRflex] Digital P&S
Advice Request> > Good Evening!> > I am asking this because my son-in-law (a
really decent chap) asked > for my help, and I don't know what to tell him.> >
He works in the oil fields and had a Pentax Optio 33 WR, which suited > him
perfectly. Sadly, that camera went, with his co-worker, to > another job site,
and the (unknown to me) camera that replaced it is, > in his words, "terrible".
It's replacement, the 43WR is also obsolete.> > His needs are:> > 1) Small-
fits in a shirt pocket .. .preferably with a small strap, > for grabbing it
easily.> > 2) weather resistance ... better yet, waterproof. This is a camera >
which will get dropped in the mud.> > 3) the ability to turn the flash on and
off, manually, as well as an > "auto" setting for the flash.> > 4) needs to run
on AA batteries... he often is in areas where > recharging is not an option. He
admits, that even in the office, > he's bad at that. He can get AA's almost
anywhere.> > 5) very little zoom range required ... and a zoom that's internal
(no > extendible parts) is best, for reason #2. However,> > 6) close focus
distance is a must - he does a lot of close-up work, > to show head office
corroding valves, etc.> > 7) megapixels almost irrelevant ... his Option 33WR
was just fine, at > 3.2 mp. 99% of his photos will be emailed and only seen on
a > screen. Those that are printed will never exceed 5x7" in size.> > 8) very
little shutter lag. I know, all P&S cameras have lag, but > his little Optio
was much better than most and he is spoiled enough > to know that he wants
another like it. The camera issued to him by > his employer (also a Pentax P&S,
model unknown) is far worse, in this > regard, and it drives him up the wall!>
> > And that's it. A tall order, actually.> > So I'm asking you all ... if you
know of a camera presently available > that would fit these requirements,
please let me know - on or off list.> > Many thanks.> > David.> ---> > David
Young,> Logan Lake, CANADA> > Limited Edition Prints at: www.furnfeather.net>
Personal Web-site at: www.main.furnfeather.net> Stock Photography at: