[LRflex] Re: Digital B&W

  • From: Walter Kramer <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 22:12:25 +1000

Richard, Kevin,

Humbled by the comments, thanks.

As far as I know the SD15 has just been released in the States so there
won't be many people that will have experience with this camera.
Mounting R glass will require a conversion of the mount and I think
Sigma Cum Lauder is still offering this service for the SD14 and perhaps
the SD15 either by purchasing a kit or purchasing a converted camera.

The SD14 is a high maintenance camera when fitted with R glass as most
everything is manual, the auto white balance is unreliable, multi seg
metering is flaky so shoot centre weighted, the buffer is slow, and the
focus confirmation is useless.  On the other hand the camera is solid
and feels competent in the hand, a good capture on the SD14 will look
like nothing else, it won't look digital.  I believe the foveon sensor
design scope was based on kodachrome colour.

I think the software in the SD15 will make the camera more responsive
and quicker, the larger screen and better interface will make it nicer
to use than the SD14.  We are yet to see whether mounting R glass on an
SD15 will give better and easier to capture results than the SD14.  If I
had the budget I would certainly consider upgrading to the SD15 with an
R mount since I have come to really enjoy the results.

I have never used Sigma glass which is another option and tempting to
research.  Does anyone out there have experience with Sigma glass?

Regards

Walter

--
Walter Krämer