[LRflex] DK-21M magnifier on R8

  • From: "AramLanghans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:14:54 -0700

Agree with David.  I’ll pulled out my R8 to see how it fits, and I was
surprised that it does fit.  I was surprised because,  I have a right angle
finder for my R8 that is superb, but I had tried it on the Canon and I could
not get it to fit, so  I bought a cheap, RA finder from China for my Canon
and it does not come close.  All kinds of distortions, but in a pinch it
does allow me to see the viewfinder at 2x when the camera is close to the
ground.  I might have to revisit the Leica finder on the Canon to see what
modifications I can make to the Canon to ease the fit.   That would be
wonderful.

Now, as I said, it does fit, but I do not see any real benefit.  The R8/9
viewfinder is so bright and large that I do not see any real difference with
the DK-21M attached or not attached.  Those are my eyes, so your eyes may
vary.  I should pull out my R4 and see if it makes a difference on that.
The viewfinder in the R4 is very sub-R8 quality.  Might make a difference.

Also , the fit is not perfect.  The height of the Leica eyepieces is much
greater than the Canon or Nikon, so, while it does cover the actual eyepiece
lens enough to work and see the whole viewfinder, there is a lot of space
below that would allow stray dust and light to enter.  Here is a picture
showing this.

HYPERLINK "http://tinyurl.com/5sl2b3"http://tinyurl.com/5sl2b3

HYPERLINK
"http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/MK-21M-on-leica.jpg.html"http://
gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/MK-21M-on-leica.jpg.html

So, to sum it up, if you are having troubles with the R8/9 finder, this is a
cheap way to see if you can improve things.  However, I suspect if you are
having troubles focusing with the R8/9, you are in need of an autofocus
camera.

Hope this clarifies things.

Aram