[LRFlex] Re: Cape Ann

  • From: Jim Hemenway <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:08:30 -0500

David:

I just noticed that I had addressed the following message incorrectly... my apologies.

Jim

Jim Hemenway wrote:

Hi Doug:

Thanks.

The isDS does seem to be well built but lightweight and I like it quite a bit. I've been shooting with it in tandem with the R8.

I already had several AF Pentax lenses as well as even more that are screw mount, that and the bright viewfinder and absence of the DMR so far, was the impetus for buying the Pentax.

The Canon viewfinders are dimmer. I found them difficult, (for me) to focus manually. Especially with no focus confirmation when using non-Canon glass.

BTW, since my last post I found that there IS focus confirmation on the isDS for screw mount as well as K mount lenses. I had not read enough of the manual to know that that feature needs to be selected in the "menu".

I'm now shooting the Pentax in RAW and find that I get almost as much latitude as I do with color negative film... definitely more than I get with slide film or when shooting as JPEG with the digital.

If you get one, you might consider setting the color space to Adobe RGB instead of the sRGB default. Set the color to Natural instead of the Bright default, and shoot RAW.

A RAW converter program comes with the camera, or you can use the RAW plugin within Photoshop CS. I haven't upgraded to CS yet, so I RAW convert to TIFF in Pentax LAB, and then optimize in Photoshop 7.

Jim

David Young wrote:

At 3/21/2005, you wrote:

North of Boston

http://www.hemenway.com/CapeAnn/

isDS with various lenses

Hi Jim!

Nice job you're doing with that digital Pentax! Nice shots, all!

I've only take a quick peek at one in the store... but it seems very small, but well built. It might be a good choice for Rose, as she has several Pentax lenses already. For myself, it's a LeiCanon, as I cannot bring myself to part with the Leica glass.

Do I remember your saying that the finder was brighter than the 20D? Any other preferences over the 20D or other Canon Digi-cameras?

Thanks. I value your comments.

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm