[LRflex] CAts and Ensignette

  • From: KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:35:49 +0100

Hi Philippe
The cats photo: nice picture of a stone wall !! ;-) I looked at the previous two, the monastery and the cows. I liked the cows best. Very atmospheric!

Now the Ensignette: I have one of those, too. They were made by Houghton's who also made the Ticka among others. Although the patent was 1907, none were produced before 1909 when they were the first all-British mass-produced all-metal camera. AP rated them very highly. A better model, the Ensignette 2 appeared in 1912, and that had better lens and shutter, and a bigger negative. Two other models appeared around 1922, and production finally ceased in 1927. The post WWI version had a light aluminium body rather than the heavy brass one. They sold in their tens of thousands - quite an achievement then!

A few silver-plated ones were made, and they are very valuable now. Unfortunately, mine isn't one of those.... :'( and I guess yours isn't, either...

Does yours work? Mine sort of works, but I wouldn't try it, because the bellows is probably holed.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Keith