[LRflex] Re: "Broken Finger Lake"

  • From: William Abbott <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 10:15:49 -0700

On Jun 7, 2007, at 7:23 AM, David Young wrote:

"Here, nestled in the hills, we still have Coyotes walking the
streets at night (and sometimes by day!), deer in our yards and, ...
lots of bird life."

That describes my home too, 50 miles south of San Francisco, 15 miles
west of San Jose, and about 10 miles east of the San Andreas Fault,
of San Francisco's 1906 earthquake fame.

And yes, we also have bark beetle infestations that have felled trees
in our yard and wide swaths in the Sierras too, but no bears or
mountain lions, though mountain lions have been seen not far away.
Perhaps not far enough away, I should say.

I followed your colloquy with Eliot about the pros and cons of Canon
w/Leica glass with interest because I am staring at the DMR wall, so
to speak, at the end of the line as far as Leica is concerned, and at
the end of my patience with carrying 5 pounds plus of camera and lens
around. Somehow an R4 or R7 with 35-70mm zoom was okay, but an R9/DMR
with 28-90mm zoom or even a 35mm Summi crosses my "handiness" limit.
It is simply "too much."

I bought the DMR knowing full well that it was not an investment in
perpetuity but one of several choices available to learn what digital
SLR photography was all about. It seemed to me to be preferable to C
or N, with which I have no history, and was consistent with my 35
years of Leica experience. I guessed that in the end it might cost me
half or two-thirds of the purchase price but that's the ante in the
game, and not too far from the overall "cost of ownership" of C or N.
I am glad I did.

I am now considering adding a "walking around" body to the R9/DMR kit
while I wait for the ineffable R10 to appear on the horizon, (he
said, gently humming a few bars from *Someday My Prince will Come,*
from the movie, *Cinderella*) and am in the process of sorting out
which to add: M8, L1, D3, or E-330 (or successors), and why.

Bottom line: I hang on to and appreciate all the notes about those
cameras from the Flexers; my thanks to all.

Hope the finger knits as good as new in good time.

All the best,

Bill