[LRflex] Re: Another day at the rodeo...

  • From: "David Young" <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richard Ward" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 11:03:51 -0700

In a message dated 07/08/2011, Richard Ward said ...

> Hi David,
>    a wonderful moment in time captured by you yet again. Kudos. I'm not sure
> whether the Horse is adding much to the overall composition, though. When I
> visually crop it down so the horse is excluded from the frame, the action,
> movement, and violence, of what the cowboy is up to with the steer is
> emphasized to a much greater extent. Whether the composition is strong enough
> w/o the horse or even to your liking is up to you. I do think the horse is
> supplemental to the visual story being told by the rider and the steer and is
> worth experimenting with losing him.

Hi Richard.

Thanks for your thoughtful comment.

I didn't crop the way you suggest, for a couple of reasons.

1) It would reduce me to about a 5mp image, which is not of sufficient
quality to make a really decent 8x10.

2) Although such a crop does add a bit more visual impact, it is a matter
of taste, and to me the difference is very small, indeed.  For me, it's a
matter of also telling the story.  The horses are an integral part of
Rodeo. After all, just 800ms earlier, the same cowboy looked like this...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Bulldoggin-0.html

Somehow, it just wouldn't look the same, without the horses!

Thanks for taking the time to look, and to comment.

David Young - Photographer
Logan Lake, CANADA

Wildlife: www.furnfeather.net
Personal: www.main.furnfeather.net