[LRflex] Age-Experience Dilemma :{

  • From: Kevin Willey <kevinwilley@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:53:06 +0200

OK, I'm 61 and still working long hours, so free time to gain experience in outdoor photography is limited to weekends and vacations. I've purchased and mostly read and often studied nearly 40 softcover books on photography. Still trying to find my niche...strongly headed for BW in MF and color in 35mm. BW exposures are getting better, less wasted Polaroid shots to get an exposure correct..but really no art yet. I've been reading Mountain Light by Galen Rowell, et al. well known photographers. Street shooting in Europe (live in Germany) does not appeal to me, whereas in Asia I love doing just that. Galen Rowell's book is full of wonderful advice, that will take me years to master. I'm not impatient, but I am a realist regarding my goal and my age. Thus, I need to speed my learning process through the basics, and I've decided to try a photo shooting workshop. Question: are any of you aware of a specially recognized BW film workshop? I'd like to shoot my Hasselblad 500CM and my Leica R8. Obviously, I want to avoid a class full of Canon/ Nikon/Sony full frame digital shooters based upon my assumption that I will be much, much slower than them because of the different formats and automation. So, I will scour the internet for a BW film shooting trip/workshop. But I thought I would bounce this off you pros as well.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

PS: looking for a recommendation on a wide angle R-lens? Will likely buy off eBay. Erwin Puts is not too enthusiastic about the R Elmarit F2.8/24mm compared to other Leica lens.