[LRflex] Re: 560 telyt 6.8 R8?

  • From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 20:48:30 -0700

Well I don't know that I'd refer to them as beasts as they're excellent lenses
for shooting the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, Pan American Games, World Track
& Field Championships, NFL, CFL Football and any number of other sports events.
Not to forget high school foot ball and baseball, I don't think I need to go on.
But my first encounter with the 400 6.8 was at the 1984 Los Angeles Summer
Olympics and it captured smashing great images shooting wide open and not more
than stopped down one stop! .

The 560mm was purchased sometime later when on assignment in Halifax, Nova
Scotia, Canada on assignment shooting images of the Halifax harbour and the
shipping action there-in!
Once again, not a beast, hand holdable and a damn fine lens used mainly wide
open or one stop down!

When the 280mm  2.8 became available I traded them both in and bought the lens
& a 1.4 extender  making the 280 2.8 into a 400 f4.0! Still have it since it
first came out, only now I have both extenders and I can make it into a 800mm
f.8 and on a monopod it's a dynamite image cutter!

Add the Leica macro adapter if you want to shoot some wild stuff and it's pure
magic for close-ups! And exceptional images of dew drops on the grass blades of
my garden!  I'm not kidding! :-)
cheers,
Dr. ted
tedgrantphoto.com