[LRflex] 1st. attempts: Bird Photos

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:35:24 -0700

Hi all,

This forum has inspired me to try bird photography - thanks to Doug
Herr, Douglas Sharp and everyone else:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/For-the-Birds/23_Sun_Bird_8X10
http://gallery.leica-users.org/For-the-Birds/24_Sunbird_AC_8X10
http://gallery.leica-users.org/For-the-Birds/33_15_Sunbird_Flight_Crop

Typically I shoot with a Leicaflex SL or R7, but sorry to ruffle some
feathers by saying that I used an off-topic non-digital system, i.e.
Zeiss Sonnar 135mm HFT lens at full 2.8 aperture on the Rolleiflex
3003.  (I used full aperture to blur out the background and check out
the Zeiss "bokeh".)   The reason for going off-topic was because I had
12 frames left in the roll of Fuji Superia 400ASA and the brief
respite from rain on Easter Sunday in the Bay Area called for
immediate action!  These were taken at my front yard, processed by
Long's Drugstore and scanned with their Fuji Frontier machine into
TIFF files.  A lot cheaper than a DMR!

I don't have time right now to try my own scanner, but I used PS
Elements to remove some of the Fuji Frontier scan artifacts with
gaussian blur - these artifacts look different from film grain, more
like a mottled texture.  Anyone have input on this?  PS Elements
unsharp mask was applied to bring back some detail and Auto contrast
function was applied. I then cropped all 3 shots - the most cropped
was the bird in flight. The Sunbird II shot was laterally inverted
because I preferred the orientation of the bird on the right and red
flower splotches on the left.  I don't even know if this is a Sunbird.
Maybe someone can correct me.

Well, what do you guys think of my initial birding adventure? I kinda
like the CZ lens' contrasty colors.

Cheers,
Eric Chan