RE: Why not...SHADOW SIDE LIGHT!

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:02:38 -0800

Doug:
Couldn't agree more. I want to capture great light and composition with behavior that knocks me over - after I've clicked the shutter! When I haven't been out shooting for awhile, wildlife images tend to be from the 'Nature' side - 'safe', and a little flat. I end up deleting all of *those*, until I get back in the groove.

I still have a note on my refrigerator door telling me "It's about the behavior, genius!" You may have the best light in the world, but without the hover-blurred wings of a white-tailed kite looking for prey, or an egret nestling grabbing the bill of a parent with food, there's nothing to look at.

You need both.

Mark

At 02:03 PM 11/11/2007, you wrote:
Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Jim Brick showed:
>

>> http://www.visualimpressions.com/Friday%20flowers/Friday_flower_1.jpg
>

>Certainly why not! It has far more going for it than many we see. The
>difference between this flower photograph and so many posted is....... This
>is shot from the "SHADOW SIDE!"

There are several nature/wildlife photography websites where critques of a photo made from the shadow side invariably include a suggestion to add some fill flash to get rid of the shadows. I COULD SCREAM!!!

I suspect it's a cultural difference between the nature photography clan and the Leica (in this case, brand isn't important) clan. The nature photography clan is approching photography primarily from the nature side, photography being secondary, while the Leica clan's emphasis is photography.

My question is, why not both? Why can't a photo of an animal be interesting not only to those whose emphasis and primary motivation for photography is the animal, and also to those who draw with light, animals happening to be the subject?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com