Re: We're getting married here, but the Hopi might show up

  • From: Mark Bohrer <markbohrer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:42:55 -0700

Frank:
After 40 years of photographing, about ten years of it with Leica M-series cameras, you get a feel for your camera's exposure meter and the images that result from following it. The Leica M8 and Canon EOS 1D mark II I used at Aztec Ruins give consistent readings, and I knew what I wanted to render in detail and what I could blow out. Chimping with small LCD screens on the backs of digital cameras, you really don't get a great idea of your fine exposure, especially in bright daylight when they're hard to see. A histogram display gives you a bit better idea - again, if you can read it in bright daylight.

So that's how I arrived at base exposure for raw image files. Then it was a bit of electronic dodging and burning in Lightroom to bring out sky detail. I could have used my old 1/2 ND (grad) filters to do the same thing, had I remembered to bring them.

The key tools were the 25mm f/2.8 Biogon T* ZM and EF 24mm f/3.5L TS-E. The TS-E lens isn't as sharp and has a lot more chromatic aberration than Zeiss and Leica optics, but it's a must to minimize converging verticals in architectural photography.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Mark

Mark Bohrer
Active Light Photography
www.activelightphotography.com
Any Activity. Any Location. Your Story.

Frank Filippone wrote:

The shots are all very nice…

But what really impressed me was the exposures in very difficult lighting. That reminded me that with digital cameras, you have the “Chimping Factor”….. the ability to see your exposures, and make modifications if the shot is not right, and take another exposure.

Now that is something we just can not do with film……and is very attractive.

Frank Filippone

red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx