RE: Raptor portraits

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 15:00:04 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Ted Grant wrote:

>Doug Herr offered:
>>
>>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/nsow02.jpg
>>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/tytonidae/baow01.jpg
>>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/amke03.jpg
>>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/amke04.jpg
>>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/amke05.jpg
>>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/swha01.jpg
>>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/feha04.jpg
>

>Hi Doug,
>
>Your photos are as usual beautiful, crisp, and telling of each bird. But
>there's an added note to them. And that is they were injured and saved to
>live another day. Certainly giving you the opportunity to photograph them
>right up close and in your face. I'm sure a very difficult thing out in the
>country side.
>

>Your photography goes beyond a Happy Snap of a critter, it's because they
>are so sharply detailed children of this day can learn so much about other
>living creatures of the planet and space we share. Once again wonderful
>story telling photography.
>

>That 280 is sure one piece of sharp glass. Of course the guy focusing it
>needs a steady hand also! :-)

Thanks Ted!  Not only are these birds living to see another day, they're also
part of the rescue team.  One of the non-releasable Golden Eagles was taken off
display last week to be a foster mom to eggs from a nest that was in a tree
that had been carelessly cut down (how's that for a run-on sentence?).

About that 280mm lens... it will be the last one pried from my cold, dead
hands.  One of Leica's masterpieces.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com