Re: New Image

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:32:44 -0800

Jim offered:

I hear good reports of the finders in both the 40D and the new Oly E3, but I have not had the chance to play with either. (Comments, anyone?)

Have you tried a 5D? Stellar full frame camera! Plenty of pixels. Sharp sharp sharp. And the price has been reduced.

Hi Jim!

I've thought about it, but only fleetingly.  Two reasons.

1) The sensor is full frame and for what I do (90% wildlife work) that is a major disadvantage. The effective boost in focal length (crop factor) saves my buying much longer lenses.

(2) The old SL vintage 2x converter I have vignettes badly with the Telyt 400, on film or FF sensor. But, with the APS sensors, you only use the "sweet spot" and all vignetting disappears. :-)

FF is a huge advantage for w/a users. I, OTOH, rarely use a w/a lens, and when I do, I have the very good, Canon 10~22 EF-S zoom. Even on an APS sensor, it's effective field of view is that of a 16 through 35mm ... plenty wide enough for me! Besides, if I went FF, I'd have to replace that, too!

Thus, going to FF would cost me thousands more than staying with the glass I have and an APS sensor.

Reasoning good enough?
---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA