Re: IMG: Ruffed Grouse

  • From: "wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 19:13:08 -0400

Jeffery Smith wrote:

Her colors are a pretty close match to the background. Very nice catch.
<<<

This is why I wanted a dark shadow behind her head.  The viewer's eye is
drawn to the contrast between the plumage and the background and I wanted
to place that contrast near the bird's eye.  Thanks for looking and
commenting!

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

On May 2, 2010, at 11:29 PM, Doug Herr wrote:

> This weekend I made a quick trip (for family) to Brookings Oregon, on the
Pacific coast just north of the California/Oregon border.  While there I
found a female Ruffed Grouse who was far more tolerant of a camo-clad
photographer than I expected:

> http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/phasianidae/rugrou00.html
>
> The background was a bit difficult to work with because of the clutter of
the leaf litter on the forest floor; also the grouse' preferred habitat is
the dense understory of the Pacific Northwest's temperate rain forest, so
getting a clear view of the bird meant getting really really close with an
ultrawide-angle lens (100mm APO in this case).  Now, about the
background... I wanted a darker background behind the bird's head, which in
this particular case was more distant.  The best way to get the dark
background was a very low camera angle, which meant on my belly in the rain
forest with huge banana slugs nearby.

> technical stuff: R8/DMR, 100mm APO, slight crop, shoulder stock, heavy
fog/light drizzle lighting.  All comments welcome.