Re: Friday airplane using (gasp)... FILM!

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 15:20:41 -0700

John:
Image size on film is primarily a function of how the camera's film gate crops the image circle. All lenses will project at least slightly beyond the actual 35mm frame - and the film gate crops the projected image circle to the 35mm frame size, 24mm X 36mm.

You might get slightly more image on the film due to the extreme angle of a wide-angle lens' projection past the edges of the film gate - but it'll be a very tiny difference. And those tiny extra edges will show vignetting anyway, so I wouldn't count on them.

At 02:17 PM 6/3/2006, you wrote:

And dont forget that it will put a little more image on the film than does a normal ro tele lenses. If you dont beleive me measure the distance between the frames of the ultra wide versus the one form other lenses.
John

Mark Bohrer wrote:

There are several things to keep in mind with ultrawide lenses on rangefinder cameras:
1. Remember to focus!
2. You're looking through an auxiliary finder, so what you see isn't what you get.
3. Avoid 'full-frame-itis' - shoot a little extra around the edges of your composition, and crop later.

This image has several shortcomings, but I like its lines and patterns. I used a Leica M7, 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH, and Kodak 100UC print film scanned with a Nikon LS-4000ED:

http://tinyurl.com/fu9uq

All comments welcome

Mark Bohrer Precision Copywriting www.precision-copywriting.com (408) 866-9405

Technical copy in plain language
= CEOs buying from you

Mark Bohrer Precision Copywriting www.precision-copywriting.com (408) 866-9405

Technical copy in plain language
= CEOs buying from you

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.8.1/355 - Release Date: 6/2/2006