Re: Pre-Build Season Code Goals

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 21:58 -0800, Cyliss Sehguh wrote:
> we'll talk in step tomorrow. yes i agree its good to look at old
> code... but i think it would be more efficient to look at what FIRST
> provides rather than what Ben has written... considering what it would
> take to get the code.
>
> My vote is C++ because there has already been a year of testing on the
> new control system with C++ and if I've learned anything about FIRST
> and code, is that they don't test their stuff too throughly before
> they release it to the teams. There were a lot of problems last year,
> both code and mechanically based, which will not be repeated this year
> because it has not been run through.
>
> Java will most probably work perfectly or as well as C++, no doubt. I
> personally would love it if the code were Java so that I could help a
> bit. But from my two years with FIRST, it doesn't wise for a team as
> young as ours with all new coders to trying something with little to
> no community resources. there's 16 years for C++ and one year on the
> new control system, and those resources will be very helpful.
>
> but i'm just one vote. and i dont really know  much code. meh.

Well if you take a look here:
http://first.wpi.edu/Images/CMS/First/GettingStartedWithJava.pdf

FIRST has already put out resources, source code, and documentation.

At the end of the document there is also a compare/contrast between FRC
Java and C/C++

I believe that Java is a perfectly viable option at this time, and
therefor my vote is still with Java.

--
Luke Cycon <lcycon.lcec@xxxxxxxxx>

Anything not nailed down is mine. Anything I can pry loose is not nailed down.
At any time, at any place, our snipers can drop you. Have a nice day.