[LandXML] Re: Un-enumeration for LandXML 1.1

I agree there are some enumerated values that are not general enough.

Nathan

        -----Original Message-----
        From: landxml-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Anselm Haanen
        Sent: Sun 9/11/2005 11:18 PM
        To: landxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Subject: [LandXML] Un-enumeration for LandXML 1.1

        Looking at some of the changes that Queensland are proposing, and with
the benefit of hindsight, I want to propose that we remove some the enumeration
of selected elements from the LandXML schema.  Individual jurisdictional
(national / state) requirements to limit fields to certain values could be
dealt with through their unique mapping document (such as LINZ's "Cadastral
Survey Data Exchange Format - LandXML").  These documents should include
specific definition of the limited lists of values for that LandXML element.

        Having now had some experience with various schemas, my view is that
XML schema enumerations are appropriate where the values are:
          - stable and don't change or extend very often
          - common to the broad subject community (in this case international).

        If these criteria don't apply, the schema community would be revisiting
the enumerations regularly, and schema users would have to change their
applications to comply with new values, when in fact they may have no interest
in them.

        Good examples of elements suitable for enumeration would be gender
(limited to male, female, ??), day (Monday, Tuesday, etc), or perhaps status
(pending, approved, historical).

        However an element that would be unsuited to enumeration would be Mark
Type, where every jurisdiction will use different marks (eg.  disk, nail, peg,
pin, spike, etc. etc.).

        As far as I can tell, removing enumerations in the next version of the
schema would have minor impact.  Importing software would need to ensure that
it allows for unknown values in the fields.  Existing applications tailored for
particular jurisdictions could simply carry on with the existing values.
"Mapping" documents detailing jurisdictional enumeration requirements would
need to be updated.

        I propose that at least the following LandXML enumerations are
un-enumerated:

        EquipmentType
        MonumentCondition
        MonumentPurpose (an enumerated List)
        MonumentState
        MonumentType
        ParcelClass
        ObservationType

        I would welcome feedback on this proposal before making any
modifications to the proposed 1.1 schema itself.

        Anselm Haanen

        ===============================
        Anselm Haanen
        Senior Development Advisor
        Land Information NZ - Customer Services
        PO Box 5501
        Wellington
        Ph  (64) 4 460 0376 (direct)
        Mb  027 249 5901
        Fx  (64) 4 498 3837
        www.linz.govt.nz
        ===============================
  _____

        Note:

        This message contains information, which is confidential and may be
subject to legal privilege.
        If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use,
disseminate, distribute or copy this message.
        If you have received this message in error, please notify us
immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or info@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  ) and destroy the original message.
        LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any
attachments, after its transmission from LINZ.

        Thank you.

  _____