[LandXML] Survey Ramblings

  • From: "Yates, Kenneth W." <KWYATES@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <landxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:57:37 -0400

We intend to use XML to exchange survey information with our
engineering, mapping and GIS customers within a large electric utility
in the southeast United States (Southern Company).  Southern Company is
the holding company for Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Gulf, Savanna
Power and other interests.  I work for Georgia Power.

One of the many types of survey we do is for powerlines.  In addition to
standard "route" and parcel surveys, one (somewhat unique) type of
attributed information includes location of obstructions.
Heights-above-ground, or pure obstruction altitude with no ground
reference are used frequently.  These are generally measured with
combinations of Electronic Distance Meter Slope Distance and Zenith
Angle... or other methods (LIDAR).  This example of height is critical
for the design of powerlines as they must provide for clearances, both
vertical and horizontal from obstructions and crossings.  The downstream
transmission line design program used by our customers is called
PLS-CADD.  The Powerline Systems folks that wrote this program are
already using XML for export of data, but have yet to specify an import
format.  I am hoping that they use the LandXML as an import schema, but
have some questions for it's use in overhead powerline surveys.

Another type of survey we do is precision deformation.  Large numbers of
redundant survey observations are gathered for statistical analysis and
movement detection of things like hydro-electric dams and nuclear
reactors and such.  Repeated observation of horizontal and vertical
angles with slope distances to the same foresite targets from many
instrument positions provide blunder detection statistics and enable
precise movement detection.

The last of many that I would like to use for example is the
differential leveling survey.  These are currently performed using
precise bar-code level rods and electronic leveling instruments.  Data
capture for this type of survey reduces to highly redundant plus-rod and
minus-rod readings for height-differencing determinations.  Generally
this type of survey is used to precisely detect vertical movement, but
elevation determinations can be performed also.=20

I am not a programmer, but have three other guys currently working on
the XML export from our survey field data collection system.  Two are
very fluent in C and C++ and one is VB.  We have many home-grown
existing systems that would benefit from the xml standards for spatial
data exchange.

Here are the general questions:
What is the best way satisfy our spatial needs here in the electric
utility while staying within the standards for LandXML?
By way of example, how would the "height" attribute be tagged to a point
and remain within the developing landxml standard?
How can I determine if modifications are required to LandXML schema to
provide for our solutions?=20
Is there any benefit to the LandXML community if modifcations are
required for support of overhead utility surveying, mapping and design?
The same question but for deformation surveying, hydrographics, and
others?

sorry for the ramble, but I am not yet up-to-speed on the concepts.

Ken Yates
Georgia Power Company
Land Department Bin 10151
241 Ralph McGill Blvd.