[LandXML] Re: LandXML vertical angle clarification

  • From: "Nathan Crews" <nathan.crews@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <landxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:16:14 -0400

Good morning, afternoon and evening,

There is a need to clarify vertical angle types in the LandXML schema. I
mistakenly defined some of them in the <Survey> definitions to be of type
'direction' which is not appropriate for vertical angles. We can change our
interpretation of this value informally in all LandXML-1.0 files and add the
new datatype to LandXML-1.1.

The proposal is to define all vertical angle measurements in LandXML as zenith
angles with the 0 origin as straight up and measured in a clockwise direction.
This new data type will be defined as

<xs:simpleType name="zenithAngle">
  <xs:annotation>
      <xs:documentation>Represents zenith angles with the 0 origin as straight
up and measured in a clockwise direction in the specified Angular
units.</xs:documentation>
  </xs:annotation>
  <xs:restriction base="xs:double"/>
</xs:simpleType>

Specifically the following attributes would be intepreted this way until
LandXML-1.1 is ready with documentation:

<Survey>.<RawObservation>.zenithAngle from 'angle' to 'zenithAngle'

<Survey>.<ReducedObservation>.zenithAngle from 'angle' to 'zenithAngle'

Please let me know if the cause any concern or complications.

Regards,

Nathan Crews

www.landxml.org