[LandXML] LandXML schema proposal

  • From: "Nathan Crews" <nathan.crews@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <landxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 10:37:54 -0600

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

As many of you know we have been looking to work more closely with the Open
GIS Consortium, Inc (OGC at www.opengis.org) for some time. In particular,
looking to them to provide an XML coordinate system that we could reference
in the LandXML schema.

Proposal: I would like for us to consider referencing the OGC coordinate
schema within the <LandXML>.<CoordinateSystem> element. This is technically
allowable based on the LandXML-1.0 schema specification and will allow OGC
compliant GIS data and LandXML design data to use a common coordinate system
definition. This could allow for improved design and GIS data integration at
the application level.

If you could take a few moments and study the following OGC XML schemas and
let us know what you think of the proposal.

The following are links to the OGC approved schemas:

http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/3.00/base/coordinateReferenceSystems.xsd
http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/3.00/base/coordinateSystems.xsd
http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/3.00/base/datums.xsd

OGC does claim copyrights, trademarks and some patents, so I would proposed
that LandXML.org allow references to these coordinate systems within an
instance document and not formally incorporate the reference until OGC gives
LandXML.org legal written permission to do so.

Nathan Crews
www.landxml.org