[LandXML] Re: LandXML - Bentley/In Roads to Land Desktop 2006

  • From: "Sean Twomey" <stwomey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nathan.crews@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <landxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:11:30 -0700

Here is the file.  How would you recommend a simple (and humble) user like
myself to get more into LandXML?  I want to know why there is a LandXML vs
XML (I think I know the answer, but just want to see it in print).  I can
see the potential for this format but seem limited by the current software,
I just want to know if there is a way to overcome that!

Thanks for your help and input!

By the way, this file should contain a surface from an aerial mapping
company we contracted.  Surfaces, points, alignments etc probably aren't
treated any different at the import level I would assume?  It was apparently
done in Bentley inroads 2004.  It appears the LandXML import routine goes
thru its first step of preparing the data for import just fine (if not a
little slow).  After that it tells me what is available to import and its
already selected to import all.  After selecting that import button a dialog
box comes up telling me that surface "Default" contains 78211 points.
Basically telling me that it would be quicker or even possible to import
only the surface coordinates rather than their triangulation scheme.  Of
course I want to maintain triangulation, in my mind that is what I am using
XML for.  If I wanted the points I would ask for an ascii file.  In this
case I want the surface because we paid good money for its generation.  This
is really where it seems to fall down here.  I don't want the quick import,
I don't have 3D breaklines, and wouldn't feel comfortable with using
someones 3D breaklines anyhow!  If I re-create someones work using all their
raw data (points, breaklines, boundaries, etc.)

I just got off the phone with Mike Cavanaugh (spelling??), he helped set me
straight on a few points.  But I still can't import the file.  Thanks very
much for your help!

Sean Twomey

Dibble & Associates

Survey Technician, LSIT