[lally] Re: SPLA

  • From: "Deb Hughes" <debolao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lally@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:10:12 -0400

Kumar,

The software as a service cannot be priced as a regular licensed software.
The overwhelming compelling part of this model is the ability for customers
to save on upfront cost by very low investment in infrastructure and lower
TCO.

The upfront cost savings in some cases misrepresent the ultimate investment,
though. According to Forrester, by the third year of deployment, the cost of
a hosted application starts to exceed that of an in-house licensed
application. By the fifth year of a deployment, the cumulative cost of a
hosted application is estimated at more then $1.6 million, while the
licensed software costs about $1.4 million annually.

Plus a customer is always stuck with a provider for the term of the contract
especially if the software provides value for them.

The option to buy is good but because the software is hosted by the provider most times the customers are lacking in infrastructure to support once it becomes theirs.

The key here is to use pricing to convinve the customer of the benefits of SaaS. Most providers charges a moderate implementation fee and the monthly recurrent fee is priced low so that customers can really see the benefits of using this model as opposed to licensed model.

Like Duncan said, you have to look at 3 factors: the cost, market and
competitor and you should price accordingly but at a very competitive price
that can really convince the customers the benefits of this option.

Personally, I think the future of this trend would be interesting to see but definitely a growing model.

Deb

On 6/7/06, Duncan Pickard <pickad@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Kumar- Remember the three Cs of pricing:

1. Cost: What does it cost for you to offer the product or service?
This, plus an acceptable profit margin sets the lower bound on what you
can charge.

2. Competition: What your customers charge sets the standard for the
industry.  Unless you have some form of market power that allows you to
change the price upwards, or you think you have the resources to start
a price war, you need to be in this ballpark.

3. Customers:  Assess your customer's willingness to pay.  This sets
the upper bound on your pricing.

Each of these factors will influence your eventual decision.  NPV and
other analysis is good, but do it from the customer's point of view,
not yours.

I am not sure that is an answer to your question, but it is a framework
for thought.

- Duncan