[klaatumail] travel faster than light

  • From: "Bradley, David" <David_Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 16:11:15 +0000

Hi all,

Hoping some analytical minds on the list may have an answer to a conundrum I
have.

Recent news stories about sub atomic particles being found to travel faster
than the speed of light has prompted me to think of the question even though I
don't believe it deals with sub atomic particles.

Supposedly things all started with the big bang.

If nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, then light would have
arrived where we currently are in space from the big bang at the same time or
before the matter that makes up our world and ourselves could have possibly
arrived here.

That being said, if we're here, how can our large telescopes look so far away
and see light traveling from back at the start of the universe?   That light
should have reached here before we did and shouldn't be out there to be seen in
the distance.....

It doesn't make sense that we can see light traveling to here from way back
when, if that light would have reached here faster than we did to start with....

Right?

Dave