[klaatumail] Re: klaatumail Digest V1 #11

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 19:32:21 -0400

Glen,

Sounds like you guys have it under control. With that said, I wouldn't cross
the street for Paul McCartney at the prices he and other acts are charging
right now. The bands are asking for too much money, and in turn, this is being
recouped through the wallets of fans by the promoters -- in this case, your
Festival. For those willing to pay the price, they get to see a
once-in-a-lifetime event (like the Klaatu Konvention). As Robert has said, the
price for that luxury is too high. And I respect that decision.

Jaimie Vernon,
President, Bullseye Records
1-800-JOE-RADI(O) // 1-800-563-7234
CDs: http://www.bullseyecanada.com
MP3s: http://www.bullseyesongs.com
RADIO: http://www.radiothatdoesntsuck.com
SWAG: http://www.cafepress.com/bullseyecanada
TWITTER: http://www.twitter.com/bullseyecanada
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/bullseyecanada

Author, Canadian Pop Music Encyclopedia
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Pop_Encyclopedia/

PERSONAL - http://www.myspace.com/jaimievernonsmovingtargetz
               - http://radio3.cbc.ca/bands/Jaimie-Vernon
BLOG - http://verminator.livejournal.com
FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/jaimievernon

> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 15:54:05 -0300
> Subject: [klaatumail] Re: klaatumail Digest V1 #11
> From: barneyrubble120@xxxxxxxxx
> To: klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hey Jaimie (and friends), S:^)
>
> You mention:
> > They didn't think this thing through and are, like all institutions from
> > the era of major
> > label 'stupid money' (i.e. label backed bank accounts), have neglected to
> > take into
> > consideration that you NEVER launch a tour without having enough stops on
> > your trip to pay
> > those high costs at least THREE times over. How many North American dates
> > are they
> > doing? The ticket price should never exceed the regular ticket price of the
> > venue.
>
> They're doing _one_ North American tour date, at the request of the
> FMPM festival. The band's costs are being covered, and they're still
> making a respectable profit (perhaps being paid even more for this one
> gig than they did for any one GG gig back when Gentle Giant was still
> together). Three Friends have no reason to be worried on this. The
> FMPM's financial situation may be another story entirely, but we had
> very little time to replace Thieves' Kitchen, and since then we have
> not regretted our decision one bit. The ticket price only had to go up
> about $10 (all previously purchased tickets remained at the same
> price), and we were confident we'd at least balance as long as all
> tickets were sold.
>
> Mind you, the FMPM has already taken measures to ensure lower costs
> (returning to our original, smaller, first-year venue than the larger
> venue used in subsequent years). The original venue is still
> top-notch, and I enjoyed it very much when I saw the first year's
> FMPM. Mind you, even with my airfare covered and a free weekend pass
> (and place to stay), I felt I couldn't afford to go two years ago, and
> my schedule didn't permit me to go last year (even though I had
> already booked the flight! Last-minute, unexpected twists...). This
> year, I _have_ to go.
>
> > And in this economy they should know better. People like Robert and many of
> > us here
> > cannot afford these types of shows. The era of picking the fan pockets is
> > over.
>
> Hmmm, try telling that to the tens of thousands of people over here in
> the Maritimes who are going to see Paul McCartney, KISS, AC/DC,
> Chickenfoot ("Van Halen without the Van Halen brothers") and Bon Jovi
> this summer... all separate gigs! And they're _all_ selling well.
> They're paying on average over $100 per concert ticket... and some of
> these gigs have no opening acts whatsoever! True, these names are
> bigger than, say, Gentle Giant, but the FMPM festival has actually
> _exceeded_ its expectations by almost selling out the entire venue
> over _three_ months in advance! This is the first year that doesn't
> [...]

We are your photos. Share us now with Windows Live Photos.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid?66047