[klaatumail] Re: Calling Marvello Smith

  • From: db65@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 03:39:26 +0000 (UTC)

> Dave Bradley tells me that it`s not even someting
> on your end. I`m not sure if that`s true because
> I`ve heard of viruses that get into peoples contact
> list and send out mass mailing of malware or
> whatever.
I know for a fact that Hotmail has problems of this nature quite often. Ask
list member Rick LeBlanc if you want verification of hotmail's problems. He had
a hotmail account. It started sending out the same exact type of messages that
Marvello's account is sending out. It wasn't coming from Rick's machine. It was
coming direct from within hotmail, and Rick didn't even have to have his
computer turned on for those viral messages to be going out.

Hotmail's contact list is stored on the hotmail server, not the local PC.

If Marvello goes into his contact list and removes klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
from his contact list, the odds are that we'll stop getting these emails.
However, there's no guarantee of that since the virus on the hotmail servers
already has the email address from when it read his contact list the first
time.

The type of virus Dean is talking about affects only certain email programs,
such as Microsoft's Outlook and Outlook Express. The way to stop those is to
shut down your mail program and your computer's internet access and do a virus
scan of your computer and have it remove the virus. MOST hotmail users aren't
using an email program to access their hotmail email at all. They are using a
web browser to access hotmail on hotmail's own servers. A virus on YOUR
PERSONAL PC won't affect hotmail and hotmail contact lists stored on HOTMAIL's
servers.

Of course, Dean doesn't have to believe me if he doesn't want to.

Marvello, Rick ended up changing from hotmail because he couldn't get the
service to fix the problem on their end. He changed to rocketmail.com and no
virus related messages came from his new account, further proof that it had
nothing to do with his PC and everything to do with hotmail's servers.

However, Dean has heard about other types of viruses that operate on totally
different types of situations than the one at hand, so it obviously couldn't
possibly be the problem that hotmail has had in the past and continues to have.

BTW, for those of you who think a MAC is immune to viruses, just keep in mind.
Mac OS is Linux based, specifically BSD, and hotmail runs on Linux servers. If
they can be infected, so can a Mac.

Dave