[kismac] Re: what is required to crack WPA?

  • From: "Javier Bonet" <jabonet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:37:13 +0200 (CEST)

Thanks Adese. Yes bruteforce attack against a WPA are only posible when the key
is no more than 8, and then only if they aren´t very imaginative.

I have the possibility of capturing handshakes and there seems to be a few
everyday, does aircrack support doing this?

Where can I get a detailed information of the airodump, aircrack and air replay
functions?

  From: adese <adese0@xxxxxxxxx>
  To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  > A "handshake" is needed to be captured in order to crack WPA. A
  > handshake occurs when a client connects to an access point for the
  > first time. i.e. when they turn their computer on and the computer
  > autoconnects to the network a handshake packet occurs.
  >
  > There are only 2 ways to crack this, either by a dictionary attack
  > using :
  >
  > aircrack-ng -a 2 -w dictionaryfile capturefile
  >
  > Or by brute force which requires an app like JohnTheRipper.
  >
  > For these reasons, WPA is very secure given one uses a
  non-dictionary

  ----- End Original Message -----

----- End Original Message -----