[kismac] Re: tiBook 400mhz, Airport card, 10.4.6, 0.2a - can't use as primary device

  • From: Erik Winkler <ewinkler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 08:42:56 -0400

If you are interested in packet reinjection, prism2 is your only option. I use a prism2 pcmcia card on my Ti Powerbook and a USB prism2 device on my 12" powerbook and both work fine with Kismac. Any of the other cards, including the built-in cards, are fine for wireless discovery and packet capture or analysis.

Erik
On May 2, 2006, at 5:32 PM, Matt Kime wrote:

oooph, i just picked up a buffalo tech card with broadcom drivers
since its fully airport compatible. I thought it would be nice to just
slip it in when i needed a better signal - also the buffalo has an
antenna connector.

how well does the software work for the Prism2 devices?

further, are there any cheap options? $60 is fair but considering that
it would be my third card, i'm feeling a bit cheap.

many thanks,
matt

On 5/2/06, Erik Winkler <ewinkler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Passive mode means that you are "listening" for packets only and not
broadcasting any information.  Passive mode does not mean packet
injection is supported.  They are different characteristics of the
wireless device.

In KisMAC, injection is only supported by Prism2 devices.  Apple's
airport card is based on the hermes chipset so it supports passive
mode, but not injection.  Apple airport extreme is based on a
Broadcom chipset that is really only useful for active mode
scanning.  Until Broadcom releases the technical documents around
it's chip sets, the only solution is reverse engineering, often
leading to quirky and unreliable drivers.