[kismac] Re: the new Google Earth server - populate or... don't :)

  • From: Geoffrey Kruse <gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 07:56:21 -0700

wow
On Apr 12, 2006, at 3:21 AM, Robin L Darroch wrote:

Hi again all!

Just a quick request for the new Google Earth/.kismac server: if anyone out there has a bunch of networks squirreled away in KisMAC save files, please feel free to upload them! The server's file upload facility can now handle files up to 2Mb (or about 14000 networks), and can also handle Netstumbler text files (either "text" or "wi-scan" formats if you're using Netstumbler... although .kismac webservice files are much preferable, so we can see things like WPA and LEAP). There may be an opportunity coming up for wider visibility for this server (and in turn for KisMAC), but I'd like to be sure it will handle the load with a bunch more networks in the database.

So, if you're willing to share some of your collection - all of it would be wonderful! - please surf on over to http:// www.robin.darroch.id.au/kismac/upload.html

Incidentally, a good technique for combining lots of separate KisMAC save files is to go to "File -> Import -> (data from) KisMAC file", then command-click or shift-click to select multiple files in the File Open dialog box. KisMAC will import all selected files sequentially, then when it's done, Export it all to one .kismac webservice file. Just try and keep it below 14000 networks in any one file. :)

Many thanks!
Robin

P.S. The aim of this server is not to replace the existing .kismac server - eventually I would like to see this running as an additional service on the actual .kismac server - but for now, let's get this stocked up and well tested so that we can spread the word!
--

Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966