[kismac] Re: strange GPS/Kismac behaviour

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:36:34 +0200

hi doug,

> Last night I started using Kismac with my GPS.  Had a bit of strange
> behaviour that I'd like to pass by you.
>
> I set Waypoint 1, walked a block West, set Waypoint 2, and then walked
> back East.  Kismac tracked me just fine.  When I started walking North,
> however, Kismac was tracking me as walking South on the map!  East-West
> worked fine but North-South were backward.
>
> For testing, I re-set the Waypoints, using the same physical locations,
> but this time setting the West one first, walking East a block, setting
> Waypoint 2, and then walking North/South.  They tracked fine this time.
> Any thoughts that would explain this?

your waypoints were probably at the same east west line. to get the
plotting right the two waypoints should have a north-south distance as
well as a east west distance.

> Also, once you set both waypoints, what's the purpose of the Set
> Current Position option?

this is for people without a gps. you can use it to set the position of
a network manually. nothing of interest for the most...
hope this helps

mick