[kismac] Re: r148 works with Intel MacBook Pro

  • From: "John Warren" <xaive1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 23:48:34 -0700

What would make gpsd totally useful for all situations is a "virtual
serial port".  I don't know if it's possible, but if there was a way
to trick the computer into thinking it had a serial port, but was
really getting info from gpsd, it would be possible to use gpsd with
any program that uses a serial port.

And then a linux and windows port of that would make everything fall
right into place.  Anyone know of anything like that?

On 5/24/06, Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Have you used the mapping functionality in Kismac?

The mapping functionality in KisMAC is *excellent* (well, I would say
that, given that I've done quite a bit of work on it... although
someone else did all the hard work before I started tinkering).
Automatic download and calibration of maps from various sources,
real-time tracking with auto-centering of current position and
tracing of your route.  The only thing it doesn't do is give you
directions... but it may be a little while before anything open
source will be able to do that. :)

>Actually do folks use other mapping software like Route66?

I used to use Mac GPS Pro, but that doesn't support gpsd (despite
repeated requests and offers of help to the developer), and I really
don't need it between KisMAC and Google Earth.

Check out the software at http://www.grandhighwizard.net - I think
you might enjoy playing with it. :)

  Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
       robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx