[kismac] Re: prototype Google Earth .kismac server

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:42:59 +0800

Nice. Perhaps you could get the .kismac entries from the Kismac file...

Actually, the idea is that once this is all working, I'd really like to see it run from the main .kismac server from the whole 171000+ nets in that database. In fact, I think it just about *is* all working now... but perhaps we can extend the trial where it is now until Mick's got time to have input on putting it on the server.

I have another idea: A point on the local HDD as a KML file, updating every second, placed there by Kismac to show your current place and accesspoints you've found on Google Earth as you do them.

That's certainly possible - and was kind-of raised during the initial ideal of KML export - but I'm inclined to leave the real-time aspect of KisMAC in the built-in map, then later on you can use the export features and (once it's running) the Google Earth/.kismac server to look at it all in the Google Earth setting. If nothing else, adding real-time Google Earth tracking would be yet another thing to keep updated during run-time, and yet another preference or switch to turn off and on. It's not a bad idea, but maybe best to leave it for now.

I tested it with mine, it's awesome! Uploaded about 460 networks.

Excellent! About the only thing I wonder is whether it's worth adding an algorithm to try and pick nets more intelligently (to make the returned nets as widely distributed within the view as possible) or to return more nets (currently 200 in the view). Unfortunately, I can't think of any way to do the first in a manner that is at all efficient on the server-side... but perhaps I can come up with something, or someone else can!

The current SQL query is:

SELECT latitude*1.000000 as lat,longitude*1.000000 as lon,ssid,type,bssid,encryption,lastseen FROM networks WHERE (latitude BETWEEN $bl_lat AND $tr_lat) AND (longitude BETWEEN $bl_lon AND $tr_lon) ORDER BY lastseen DESC LIMIT 200;

($bl|tr_lat|lon are the limiting latitude & longitude of the view area)

Might do some more digging in the SQL syntax.

Other than that, all suggestions welcome!

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx