[kismac] Re: prototype Google Earth .kismac server

  • From: themacuser <themacuser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:02:26 +0930

Nice. Perhaps you could get the .kismac entries from the Kismac file...

I have another idea: A point on the local HDD as a KML file, updating every second, placed there by Kismac to show your current place and accesspoints you've found on Google Earth as you do them.

I tested it with mine, it's awesome! Uploaded about 460 networks.

On 11/04/2006, at 2:03 PM, Robin L Darroch wrote:

Hi everyone!

Well, it's been another feverishly productive night/morning, and I've come up with something which... well, *I* think it's really cool, and far more user-friendly than WiGLE (or even, with apologies, .kismac).

I've just created a MySQL-driven .kismac database on my home computer, and a Google Earth interface to view it! The main aim here was to create a replacement for web-based lookups of .kismac or similar data, and what better way than just to browse in Google Earth? Now, in accordance with open source principles, I'll be very pleased to share the code for use on our official site once I'm happy that it works well enough here, but first I really need to do some more testing. The best part is, you can't break anything (at least on your own computer) by helping me test it, and you'll get to play around with my WiFi net mapping system in Google Earth. So... interested?

Here's how to help:

0) if you don't already have one, make a .kismac webservice file (i.e. a text file - not a normal KisMAC save file) of some of your found networks (no bigger than 250kb - about 1500 nets):

        - open KisMAC
        - load in a save file
        - choose File->Export (data to)->.kismac Webservice file

1) go to http://www.robin.darroch.id.au/kismac

2) follow the instructions to upload your .kismac Webservice file

3) once you've successfully uploaded a .kismac Webservice file, you will be given a link to download the Google Earth plug-in... then just look around the area where you collected your nets (or anywhere around Australia, New Zealand or a bit of southern California so far) to see them appear (as if by magic!) in Google Earth.

The plug-in allows you to view either all networks or just unencrypted networks in the view area, returning a maximum of 200 (most recently seen first).

Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx