[kismac] Re: possible one-click solution for passive mode

  • From: Jesse Stanford <safetechs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:21:07 -0500

Kismac should already be asking for your username and password when you click scan to load the airport driver, so if it's not working as you but is working as sudo (Pseudo) then perhaps something is messed up with your user permissions? For me I had awhile where Kismac wouldn't work unless I loaded it under root..
Is there some sort of utility out there that verifies your user settings? I think for me what did it was Printer Setup Repair and repairing permissions with Disk Utility and then OnyX or Xupport (or Cocktail) cache cleanup and cron tasks and dbs rebuilt.. somewhere in running all of those it started working for me again.
Jesse
On Feb 16, 2006, at 7:57 PM, John Warren wrote:

Pseudo works on mine.  Thanks for the tip.  Passive mode started in
about 0.3 seconds from the time that i clicked Start Scan.

In addition, I can simply click on the airport icon and select a
network to reactivate my connection to it.  It doesn't require a
reboot to use the airport (this is without even closing Kismac).

I'll do some more testing later, but it looks to be a viable solution
for now.  What could be done on the kismac in order to have kismac run
as root on it's own?

On 2/16/06, Michael Vargus <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been able to get passive scanning to work by running Kismac
"through" Pseudo (http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/
pseudo.html), essentially running Kismac as root. Hope this helps.

On Feb 16, 2006, at 6:26 PM, John Warren wrote:

stopping the airport doesn't do it for me. Even if the airport was
stopped and the computer restarted (airport still stopped) kismac will
not run passive. A safe boot so far is the only way that i have been
able to perform passive scanning.

On 2/16/06, Kevin Bringard <comandercool@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Granted, I havn't tried this since installing 10.4.5, but in
10.4.4 I was
able to enable passive mode while the airport was running.  I
could be
connected to a network, surfing the web, load kisMAC, and it would
switch
out, and then when I shut down kisMAC it would connect back to the
network.

The problem I had, was that it didn't work everytime... sometimes
I had the
problem people are describing where the airport would kill itself
requiring
a reboot to fix.

Anyway, just my 0.02$

-- Kevin

On 2/16/06, Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since it seems that forcing the airport to stop prior to loading
KisMAC now works on 10.4.5 (maybe .4.4 too?), I've come up with one
possible solution to do it in one click (rather than having to
remember to deactivate the airport before each time running KisMAC:

- Download XNetwork from
http://osaxen.com/files/xnetwork1.3.html
- Install it (just drag the osax file into one of your
ScriptingAdditions folders)
- open Script Editor and create a script with the following two
lines:

stop airport
tell application "KisMAC" to activate

- save that as an application
- now, to open KisMAC, double-click your script application rather
than the KisMAC application icon

Of course, you can write a more detailed script for KisMAC if you also want it to open maps and start scanning, etc.

Now, if anyone can think of an effective way to have KisMAC turn the
Airport off at a system level before it attempts to load the Airport
Extreme passive driver (and then to turn it back on when scanning is
stopped if it was on before), that would be considerably better!

----
Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421
503 966
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@spade- men.com