[kismac] Re: possible one-click solution for passive mode

  • From: Michael Vargus <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:10:43 -0500

I've been able to get passive scanning to work by running Kismac "through" Pseudo (http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/ pseudo.html), essentially running Kismac as root. Hope this helps.

On Feb 16, 2006, at 6:26 PM, John Warren wrote:

stopping the airport doesn't do it for me.  Even if the airport was
stopped and the computer restarted (airport still stopped) kismac will
not run passive.  A safe boot so far is the only way that i have been
able to perform passive scanning.

On 2/16/06, Kevin Bringard <comandercool@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Granted, I havn't tried this since installing 10.4.5, but in 10.4.4 I was
able to enable passive mode while the airport was running. I could be
connected to a network, surfing the web, load kisMAC, and it would switch
out, and then when I shut down kisMAC it would connect back to the network.

The problem I had, was that it didn't work everytime... sometimes I had the
problem people are describing where the airport would kill itself requiring
a reboot to fix.

Anyway, just my 0.02$

-- Kevin

On 2/16/06, Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since it seems that forcing the airport to stop prior to loading
KisMAC now works on 10.4.5 (maybe .4.4 too?), I've come up with one
possible solution to do it in one click (rather than having to
remember to deactivate the airport before each time running KisMAC:

- Download XNetwork from
- Install it (just drag the osax file into one of your
ScriptingAdditions folders)
- open Script Editor and create a script with the following two lines:

stop airport
tell application "KisMAC" to activate

- save that as an application
- now, to open KisMAC, double-click your script application rather
than the KisMAC application icon

Of course, you can write a more detailed script for KisMAC if you also want it to open maps and start scanning, etc.

Now, if anyone can think of an effective way to have KisMAC turn the
Airport off at a system level before it attempts to load the Airport
Extreme passive driver (and then to turn it back on when scanning is
stopped if it was on before), that would be considerably better!

Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx