[kismac] Re: newbie q: no packets showing up?

  • From: David Reid <dreid@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:52:55 -0800

The limitation is the Airport Extreme cards are used for active
scanning.  The drivers do not allow the card to be put into monitor mode
(similar to promiscuous mode on ethernet cards) which allows for passive
scanning.

During active scanning the Airport Extreme card is used to send a
"probe" request and waits for a response from the access point.  Having
to actually send a packet makes one visibile to the AP (or any passive
scanners around.) You also can not capture packets because (like when an
ethernet card isn't in promiscuous mode) the card ignores anything not
addressed to it.

If you really want passive scanning/packet capture on your 17" PB pickup
a nice supported PCMCIA card or like i'm doing is currently using a
Microsoft MN-510 USB Adapter.  It's got good range and even includes an
internal antenna connector, which with a little modding to the case
becomes an external antenna connector. :)

--David