[kismac] Re: netgear ma111 v1

  • From: r_w <rwarda55@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:30:02 -0800

i'm referring to the link at the kismac site, which now seem to be down, but basically described how to flash the firmware on the v1 ma111 prism using a windows box and a custom flash utility. i'm just curious because the ma cost me 8 dollars and i just want the best performance. unfortunately i have a 12 inch powerbook so i can't use any pcmcia cards and by what i've researched there isn't a usb pcm adapter that will work. sorry for rambling but because of kismac i've developed a great interest in network security and have learned to compile, installed ethereal, snort, ettercap and anything else i can get my hands on. i followed daily blogs of defcon, shmoocon, and anything forum that'll have me. unfortunately, most support for mac users seems to covet and guard their information, and few are willing to help a newbie. obvious reasons of course and i understand what these programs are designed for. anyways, i'd love to see more information about using kismac in conjunction with ethereal, ettercap and john the ripper. it seems that one needs to rely on a several specialized tools for optimal intrusion testing. plus, more cool programs to play with.

On Feb 26, 2006, at 11:55 PM, themacuser wrote:

No. The firmware isn't upgradable AFAIK (I dont know as I dont have one).

Ma111v2 is different hardware (and doesn't work with KisMAC).

On 27/02/2006, at 6:14 PM, r_w wrote:

newbie here but have been following the developments for a few month's now.
is there any benefit to flashing the ma111 firmware to the latest version? i couldn't decipher from the posts and documentation which was the best protocol.

thank you

ryan