[kismac] Re: my DSL and the neighbors wireless...

  • From: "Dan Oetting" <dan_oetting@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:18:10 -0600

On May 17, 2004, at 5:26 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

At 9:51 PM +0200 2004/05/17, Lasse Vibe Jespersen wrote:

 if it has a popup thingamajig when you surf from it, and dhcp, it's
 probably free-for-all.
 using it without permission can give you police problems, if your
 neighbour cares/notices/knows who you are.

The rule I've generally used is that if they're using a default standard SSID, no WEP, not locked to specific MAC addresses, and allowing anyone to DHCP (basically running as wide-open as possible), then it's going to be more difficult to prosecute you for trespassing.

Set your own connection to attach to the strongest available signal so you'll connect to the access point in your own house instead of the weaker signal from the neighbor. Unless you own AP accidently gets unplugged or someone stuffs it inside a cookie tin you'll be using the bandwidth you've paid for.