[kismac] Re: managed but not encrypted ap?

  • From: "John Warren" <xaive1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 08:03:49 -0700

I have found many times that spoofmac works best (read = actually only
works) if I turn off my airport, restart, run spoofmac, turn on
airport, use with new mac address.  Then I restart and it will return
to normal address.

On 5/12/06, SG <sub.genius@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Robin L Darroch wrote:

>> What does it mean when I scan a network that has no WEP or WPA
>> encryption ("NO" in encryption column) but is still a "managed" AP and
>> therefore unwilling to accept unencrypted connections? And how would I
>> go about testing this AP's resilience to attack?
> "Managed" simply means it is controlled by a central access point, as
> opposed to "ad hoc" (which is essentially a wireless peer-to-peer
> network set up between two or more computers without a central access
> point).  "Managed" has nothing to do with whether connections need to
> be encrypted.  If it is unencrypted but won't accept an attempt to
> connect, then most likely the reason is that it has a restricted list
> of MAC addresses (i.e. the hardware address of network cards) which
> the access point will allow to connect.  This is a very insecure way
> of doing things, because it's easy to monitor the network traffic
> using a utility like KisMAC, then either just steal what you want out
> of the unencrypted traffic you capture, or - for the more technically
> advanced - fake your own MAC address to match one of the adapters
> allowed on the network, and join using the fake MAC address.

If you want to try to spoof your mac address, you can do this with a utility called spoofmac for airport extreme cards.