[kismac] Re: mac address change on classic orinoco gold ( 8410-EU )

  • From: Lasse Jespersen <l.j@xxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 19:13:05 +0200

regarding the Airport driver, it is impossible to change mac address now, because of how it's made.. or somesuch.. Mick can elaborate on this. I don't know why IOXPERT driver set is crippled like this. It is trivial to change mac address on all my other computers with my pccard and other network crap, and a driver I pay 25USD for really should allow this :(

On 04. maj 2004, at 19:06, Ray Haque wrote:

I have never had success changing the MAC address of my wireless card(s), but I have been able to change it on my built-on wired ethernet card. I think this has more to do with the Operating System VS the Hardware doesn't it?

I know back with 10.1 there was a kernel mod' that allowed the changing of your MAC address. From what I understand, since 10.2 it's "allowed" by the kernel. But if you get that error, it means the Hardware (the card) doesn't want to do it.

If anyone knows a way around that, I too would like to hear it. ;-)

-Ray

On May 4, 2004, at 12:33 PM, Lasse Jespersen wrote:

I use a classic orinoco gold ( 8410-EU ) pccard with the ioxperts driver set. When I attempt to modify the mac address manually thus:
sudo ifconfig en3 ether 10:10:10:10:10:10

I get the usual ( !! ) error that i get with the shit airport driver:
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Operation not supported

I emailed ioxpert support and they had nothing useful to say.

I am quite pleased with the ioxpert driver set - this one thing is just stupid and annoying. How do you guys out there with a ( nearly ) identical card change the mac address?

And which utilities do you use to update the firmware on your cards?

Thanks..

/Lasse