[kismac] Re: gpsdX - it's just like gpsd, only better!

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 21:55:59 +0800

1) a universal binary build of a fully operational gpsd (including some major patches and bug fixes not even available in the svn head of gpsd)

Might be clever if you contributed them.

Derrick
yes, i hate forked versions. why do work twice?

I've already contributed them as much as I can - I also think forked versions are a Bad Idea (tm). So far, I've posted the various patches to the gpsd-dev list a couple of times (starting mid last month... some of them have been posted as many as three or four times because they still have not been incorporated). These have been accompanied by specific requests either for commit access myself (to contributed them directly) or for someone with commit access to check and commit my patches, but thus far I've not been successful in those endeavours. I've now contacted one of the people with commit access directly, and e-mailed him all of my patches, and I'm waiting for him to review and - I hope - commit them. But in the mean time, the existing release and SVN head versions of GPSd have *major* flaws which I'm not prepared to distribute, so my patched version is called 2.32X (as distinct from the release version of 2.32). As soon as either my patches or equivalent fixes make it into the SVN head of gpsd, gpsdX will simply be a binary build of the most recent stable SVN or release version of gpsd... but that will have to wait for the gpsd powers-that-be to decide that either I or my patches can be trusted with "svn commit".

Cheers,
Robin

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx