[kismac] Re: gpsdX - it's just like gpsd, only better!

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 18:50:31 +0800

  Been thinking about gpsdX.  It may be a nice option to have the
config file output some of the NEMA data to show the user that
configuration is complete and functional.  Something simple that just
parses a few things like position and time and displays it.

Interesting suggestion... although I'll have to think about it a bit. gpsdX is after all just a daemon, so it relies on the user having at least one client to make it worth installing in the first place. gpsd is packaged with a few clients including xgps and cgps (the former is an X11 client, the latter a simple C client). It could well be worth my while to make "MacGPS" - an equivalent simple Cocoa gpsd client (although I might have to work on the name, so as not to get accused of trademark infringement with MacGPS Pro - a currently non-GPSd-capable commercial GPS application).

If I did make a client to package with gpsdX, what would people like to see in such an application? Is anyone else interested?

  Also, to all people listening, now that I have gpsd, I'm looking
for other things to use with it.  What are the other things out there
and what are the "must haves"?  It looked the gpsd page had a few but
the list seems old.  (maybe I'm not looking at the right place?)

Michael Davis keeps a bit of a list of GPSd-associated projects in his wiki, at http://gpsd.davisnetworks.com

I recommend "GPStoGE" (listed at http://gpsd.davisnetworks.com/bin/view/Main/ProjectGPSD2GoogleEarth), a real-time GPSd-to-Google Earth utility (i.e. "watch" your current position and track in real time in Google Earth)... but then, I suppose I would recommend it, since I wrote it! Apart from that, it's a question of what else would you *like* to do with GPS information?

I'll let other people share their "must haves" - GPStoGE and KisMAC are my two!

Cheers,
Robin

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx