[kismac] gps hardware

  • From: Francis Gulotta <reconbot@xxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 04:29:52 -0400

I've been considering adding a gps receiver to my collection. I don't
have a lot of cash nor the want to go and get the best of the best but
I don't believe in wasting my money on really cheep equipment. That
being said I'd like something that will work with both my pc and mac
(USB is a good idea) and support a good standard that's widely used. (I
say all this not knowing a thing about USB gps receivers)

I took a quick look on ebay and found this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3049019179&category=4668

Don't bother clicking on the link unless you want to buy it (then let
me know and I'll bid on one of the other ones listed) the only useful
specks (in terms of compatibility) I'll copy right below.

Output   Message:
NMEA0183 protocol, and supports command:
GGA, GSA, GSV, RMC, GLL, VTG

This alright? I doubt its a wonderful pice of hardware but it looks
alright for the price (about 35 bucks).

Anyway tell me what you think, and tell me if I'm making a big mistake
and if I should go and buy something else.

-Francis

P.S. Ohh and while I haven't had time to download every release I have
to say its nice knowing that kismac gets better with every one. Keep up
the good work.