[kismac] Re: external antenna...

  • From: Ulf Wetzker <ulfsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 23:24:12 +0200

On Wed, 7 May 2003 13:16:58 -0700
Rob Frohne <frohro@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ulf,
>
> Your English is a lot better than my Deutsch!
>
> On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 01:04  PM, Ulf Wetzker wrote:
> >
> > Does someone know (perhaps rob ?!?) how to build a HF-Antennaswitch
> > or how to activate the second external antenna port of the airport
> > card (is
> > an hardware problem ...)? Because then we would be able to use the
> > internal antenna and an external antenna with to open the Ti/iMac
> > all the time.
> >
> I haven't actually taken an Airport card apart yet.  They are a bit
> more expensive than
> the PCMCIA cards, so my method has been to use those and the ones I
> buy have an antenna connector
> already.  Some cards and many access points have two antenna ports.
> They poll each for the S/N ratio and
> use that to determine which one to use.  If the Airport card has
> another antenna port inside that could be reached
> without mechanical interference, it would be ideal to connect it to
> the external antenna jack you propose.

Thats not possible because the second antenna port is not fully loaded
(not parts are soldered in). You might see it in this picture
http://www.binaervarianz.de/projekte/hardware/mactail/bilder/mactail02.jpg
So it would be quite hard open the card and to solder all the missing
parts in (R,C,D,plug...).
I think the best way would be if we would do someting like a antenna
switch (the antenna ports from lucent are doing something like this...
if you plug in the external antenna, a small "pin" is pushed in. Now the
internal antenna isn't working anymore). The problem is that i dont know
how to build a small HF-switch that fits in notebook.
Next week (after this math test at saturday) I will try to find out
more.

cu ulf...