[kismac] Re: connecting to networks

  • From: "Barry Woods" <barry99705@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 21:54:55 -0800

Just to throw some laws in the mix... And a rough explanation.
The federal law, I.E. all 50 states. http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/1030_new.html

Rough translation, So, let's say we just want to do some Internet surfing via a wide-open, unencrypted AP of unknown origin (probably a neighbor), from the luxury of the living room

-Is it intentional? YES.
-Is it a "computer" I'm accessing? According to USC 18 - YES. An AP is a
computer by definition.
-Is it a *protected* computer? According to the definition in USC 18 - Not
inherently. But in this case we'll be getting on the Internet, so YES.
-Is the access *authorized*? It's kind of subjective, but I don't believe
so.
-Am I causing a loss of $5000 or more? Easily - See below.

"Loss" can include things like time spent responding to the incident, damage
assessment, etc. So, "loss" can add up pretty quickly with these
intangibles. However, it doesn't count unless the loss was incurred as a
result of a crime.

So, to sum up - Chilling in your living room and surfing via your neighbors
AP (as harmless as it seems) is a federal crime. Also, some states like
Alaska now have laws that specifically prohibit doing this as well (Theft of
Service).