[kismac] Re: anybody uses KisMAC on a ibook G4?

  • From: "John Warren" <xaive1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:53:49 -0700

I cracked a WEP with an iBook G4 once using the airport extreme.  But
it was a very controlled situation where I was generating a lot of
traffic on my own AP and my password was only numbers.

Recently I have used a Ralink device (with a macbook pro) to crack a
WEP network (also my own) but with a much more complicated password
and was only using the normal amount of traffic that we normally see.

On 7/26/07, Lawrence Bean <lbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>Anybody uses KisMAC on a ibook G4, mine just doesn't work no matter what
>I try.

I am using Kismac 0.21a on an iBook G4, OS10.4.

I have successfully used it to sniff and get info with the built-in
airport extreme and two recommended USB wireless devices*, but I have
never successfully broken a WEP network with any of the three. The biggest
problem seems to be that none of the devices support packet injection into
an 802.11g hub, and I have never made the effort to set up or go out and
find an 802.11b network just to show it can be done.

* Don't have them here to see the numbers, but one is a D-Link stand-alone
unit that needs a special revision number which I got off ebay, and the
other is a usb "thumb drive" style (WGL-something?).