[kismac] aircrack install

  • From: adese <adese0@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 08:34:05 -0400

I was contacted by someone on the list on how to install aircrack. I ended
up writing a whole lot, so I figure if anyone else is wondering, here it is
:

There are two options you can take as I see it :

1. MacPorts (formerly DarwinPorts)
2. "Build" from "source"

This guide assumes the following :

* Downloads go to your desktop
* You have installed X11 & XCode tools and all that jazz from your OSX
10.4Install disc
* We will call your user name "uname" for this guide
* The $ symbol denotes a new line input in terminal and should not actually
be entered, just whatever follows it

OPTION 1 : MacPorts

Download macports from :
http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/downloads/MacPorts-1.5.0/MacPorts-1.5.0-10.4.dmg

Mount and install the dmg file. (note that during the actual physical
install to disc, macports seems to hang for a while, this is because it is
updating all its sources and such, just let it go)

You now have to add /opt/local to your $PATH. I usually do this thru vi, I
will do my best to explain how to do this thru terminal :

$ sudo vi /etc/profile
Arrow down two spaces to the "PATH" line and hit Shift+A this will bring you
to the end (if /opt/local is already there, refer to the last line in this
paragraph), arrow over left once, and add :/opt/local
This should all be within the ending quote mark and should look something
like this :
PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/opt/local"
now hit Esc then Shift+; then wq! then enter

Close and open a new terminal window and type the following :

sudo port -v selfupdate
sudo port -vc install aircrack-ng

After this is done doing the damn thang, you now have aircrack-ng installed.

$ aircrack-ng in terminal to get a list of commands

OPTION 2 : "Source"

Download aircrack : http://download.aircrack-ng.org/aircrack-ng-0.9.1.tar.gz

Un-tar/gzip it by double clicking on the file
Open the folder and rename the Makefile to Makefile.old
Rename the Makefile.osx to Makefile
In terminal :
$ cd /Users/uname/Desktop/aircrack-ng-0.9.1
$ make
$ sudo make install

You now have to add /usr/local/bin to your $PATH. I usually do this thru vi,
I will do my best to explain how to do this thru terminal :

$ sudo vi /etc/profile
Arrow down two spaces to the "PATH" line and hit Shift+A this will bring you
to the end (if /opt/local is already there, refer to the last line in this
paragraph), arrow over left once, and add :/usr/local/bin
This should all be within the ending quote mark and look something like this
:
PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin"
now hit Esc then Shift+; then wq! then enter

After this is done doing the damn thang, you now have aircrack-ng installed.

$ aircrack-ng in terminal to get a list of commands

You can delete the old aircrack-ng tar files and folder off your desktop